Sunday 24 July 2011

Trip to Gassiot House from Sheffield - 24th July

We set off about 10,30am from Sheffield eventually on our way to the Evelina, all those weeks of waiting were nearly over and we were now setting out to meet the complex motor disorder team for our second visit, only the drive to London remained between us and our goal.

This was the part of the journey I had been secretly dreading the most, the thought of driving round central London had caused me rather a few restless thoughts over the last month or two, and the thought of driving through the metropolis was rather daunting to me.

We set off from Sheffield and to be fair it was pretty much motorway all the way into the centre of London, so no major worries there other than the regular mandatory “pee” stops so often demanded by the kids.

The M25 around the outskirts of the city was very driveable, much busier than traffic I am used to but none the less not too stressful at all, my trusty satnav had complete control where we were going and it did a sterling job, and guided us all the way to the doors of the Evelina without issue…. Seems those restless nights had been in vain, and indeed getting here is not nearly as difficult as I had envisaged.


We pulled in to find all the disabled spaces (of which there are only a few) had been taken, and then right at the end of the row, I spied a random moped parked in one of the bays, could this be possible I thought, a moped with a blue badge.. My guess was no, and in rather a cheeky fashion I just took it off it’s stand and moved it in just a tad (well enough to let me squeeze my car in !!!) To be honest when we went back to the car to unload it, another space had become available so I moved the car into this space.

No harm was done, and I had a parking space… result !!! We toddled off to the reception desk at the main hospital and picked up the keys for our accommodation… we got the keys without issue, 1 key so I guessed it was for a family room, and we went to go and stick the kettle on and check out the digs before unloading the car, now remember there are 5 of us in total, My wife, 3 kids and I, and when we went into our room we realised there was a bit of an issue, 5 people and two single beds. I thought no problem I would speak to the guard we had picked up the keys from and advise we were supposed to get a family room, however  when I spoke to him he advised Gassiot House was managed independent from the hospital and we would need to speak to them when they opened on Monday morning. Guess we will just have to make do till then, the wife came up with the idea of pushing the two beds together and us all sleeping longways across the beds… sounds strange I know but it does work. The main thing is we are all safe and well, that’s good enough for us.

We went along for a walk this evening, around the houses of parliament, Westminster Abbey etc before we went off for something to eat…. Been a really good day, all are well and now it was time to head off to our nice cosy bed.

Due at Kings College Hospital  tomorrow to start off Robbie’s 5 day assessment, updates to follow soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment