Tuesday 26 July 2011

Hospital 5 Day Assessments - Day 2 - Dad 5am - 26th July

Sitting awake since 4.30am, drinking a coffee gives you some real time to ponder on our journey with Dystonia so far… Here we are in the middle of London, going through the tests for DBS and some serious questions keep running through your mind.

The family are great with Robbie, they all get along really well, we manage to live okay and get through our days without many issues, and the question in the back of your head is always there… Does he really need this implant, can we not just manage as we currently are doing?

I know the answer deep down is probably no, if there is a reasonable chance this surgery will improve Robbie’s quality of life in any way, shape or form we simply would not deny him this opportunity.

I long to be able to see Robbie get some more mobility and stability back, he is a normal 6 year old who wants to be able to do the simple things in life that most 6 year olds can do, ride a bike, go to swimming lessons, play in the park, climb up on climbing frames, button up his jacket when he is cold, tie his own shoelaces. As you can see I am not looking for miracles just small things that will give him more independence and allow him to do his own thing when and as he wants without someone always being there ready to pick him up when he stumbles.

This truly is a cruel condition, and it can be incredibly painful to watch as a parent, however the implant can and deep down I am quite sure will make this better.

I think the tone of this entry is quite dark and sombre this morning, and it is not intended to be so, I am simply trying to paint a vision of the turmoil my mind is in just now. I believe I am probably feeling this way as I know Robbie has his PET scan today, which requires a general anaesthetic, not the first he has had, and it certainly will not be the last, but as any parent who has witnessed their child being anaesthetised will appreciate it is a traumatic experience, to see your child slip into unconsciousness before your eyes, and although in this modern age problems with anaesthetics is pretty much unheard of, it is still a true and valid worry for any parent going through this procedure.

Thoughts of home and normality are pushed to the back of my mind just now, the everyday things like the house, the garden, bills etc etc etc don’t even get a second thought at this time, (where before these things used to seem so important) now I realise they are minor things, that will wait as this time is about doing the right thing for Robbie.

Where this journey will led us, nobody knows, but I am confident we are doing the right thing for Robbie, I am optimistic about the implant and overall I am certain regardless of the outcome of the Op I will always have a loving, caring family, all of whom mean the world to me, and make me very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment