Thursday 7 July 2011

Holiday Time Out 7th July 2011

At long last the holidays have come around !

Robbie has had a few really good days, albeit sleeping is becoming a real issue, sure he goes to bed no problem, he just seems to have issues actually dropping off to sleep. This seems to be becoming a familiar pattern, however is more apparent on days where the weather isn't so good and getting out and about the house isn't really an option. This could merely be a case of Robbie not burning enough energy off, but we are watching this closely.

Even better, we are all off on a week's holiday from tomorrow, this will be an ideal time to establish if there is any ongoing sleeping pattern problems developing as no doubt our days will be filled with entertainment, swimming, funfair's, kids clubs and lots of activities. This holiday will be a good distraction from the barrage of appointments we will have over the coming weeks and to be honest I think the whole family need the break... a bit of "us" time.

Personally I have made a tough choice at work, as Robbie needs more in the way of care and support over the months ahead, (and as my work was looking to make redundancies) I have after long and hard thought  decided to go down the voluntary redundancy route, hence from the 18th July I will be able to become a full time father and carer to my kids as my request has been accepted. 

In fairness to my work they tolerated me being off for over six months last year when the dark days of no diagnosis loomed over us, I did not want to go back to this situation again this year and when the chance of redundancy existed I could not miss the window of opportunity I had been presented with, to secure a lump sum to get us some together family time with no distractions. 

Sure I will miss the wages, sure I will miss the company but deep down I truly believe I have made the right choice for my family. Fingers crossed a few months from now I will be able to get back into work, however if there is one thing Dystonia has taught me, there is so much more to life than money and career. Your family and their health is paramount... 

When Robbie needs me I will be there, right by his side, I am sure some of you may have your own opinions on this strategy I have adopted but ultimately I am doing what I feel is right for me and my family at this time...

2 comments:

  1. You have done completely the right thing Dougie and deserve a lot of respect for putting your families needs before your own. Hope you have a great holiday, you all deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to think that people will admire you for your decision and show you the respect you deserve, hope you guys have a fab holiday :)

    ReplyDelete